Welcome to Erie Community Library
“Paws to Read” Therapy Dog Program
400 Powers Street
Erie, CO 80516
The “Paws To Read” Therapy Dog reading program at Erie Community Library is a vetted facility working closely with Therapy Dogs Boulder County to bring some wonderful dog therapy reading skills to children who greatly appreciate the interaction. The Paws To Read Therapy Dog program is a totally volunteer program and operates with team visits on the 4th Wednesday of each month from 4:30pm to 5:45pm (by sign-up appointments only). Each of the children read to a dog in 15 minute intervals.
Presently, this program has a unique rotating schedule with three active teams doing one regular scheduled visit for a given month and then the next month the schedule rotates with three alternate teams and so on. Alternate teams are are on standby in a pool of teams waiting to fill a vacant position or to be rotated through a regular months visit.
All teams are part of a group email list so they can communicate absences and emergency coverage. A monthly schedule is created and sent to all teams and administration just before the beginning of each new month.
- Therapy Dog Registration: All teams must be registered with a therapy dog association. The accepted registration memberships are:
– Alliance of Therapy Dogs (www.therapydogs.com)
If you are not presently registered with any association, there are several tester/observers for Alliance of Therapy Dogs inside of our Therapy Dogs Boulder County group who can help get you started on that process. Use the “contact us” selection from the main menu and let us know you would like to be tested with your dog.
2. A copy of proof regarding your dog is current on the Rabies Vaccination. A vet record is acceptable.
3. A copy of proof showing your dog was fecal tested and the test was negative within the last 12 months.
4. There may be some paperwork to be completed with the facility and there will be a background check.
Are you interested in being a therapy dog reading team at Erie Community Library?
If you would like to make application to be a therapy dog team at Erie Community Library in Erie, please click on the following Facility Application Form link which will take you to the Facility application page. If you would like to make application to more than one Facility, please read about their requirements first before selecting them on the application:
DOGS ONLY, please